I was setting my new Adwords campaign when I saw this new website optimizer tool from Google. What it does is to help online marketers to increase their conversion rates and overall visitor satisfaction by continually testing various combination of site content.
I am pretty excited and amazed at this new tool from Google. All the while, I have been searching for a split testing software where I can test my site, get lots of data without having to spend great amount of money. This tool has fully fulfilled my needs and moreover, it is FREE.
There are few things that you can test with the website optimizer. You can either run
- split headline test
- various body content combination
- rotate different set of images and graphics
It is advisable to run one test at a time so as to achieve the combination of headline, body content and prominent images that converts the best.
Before you start, sign up for a Google account here (https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount). Alternatively, you can sign up for Gmail and your username will become your Google account name. You will have to sign up for a variety of Google services, so it is best to have a Google account. It will come in handy.
Getting started with Google website optimizer:
- Sign up for Google Adwords using the same account name you created above (Make sure that you sign up for the standard edition, not the starter edition)
- Sign up your Website optimizer account after you have logged in to Google Adwords. (You can find the website optimizer link at the Google adwords homepage)
- Sign up for Google analytical account if you do not have one. (This will track all your traffic and conversion rate)
- Click the “create new experiment” to set up new test for your site
- Fill in your experiment name, test page url and conversion page url
- Give your experiment a meaningful name. A good name is to put the url of your site.
- test page url is the page that you wanted to test.
- conversion page is the page that your visitors go to after a sale has been transacted. This page will help Google to track the conversion rate.
- Set up variation for the test.
- If you are split testing the headline, make sure that you include your keyword(s) in all the headlines. Limit your headlines to 200 characters and ensure that each and every one of them have the same focus and address to the same audience group.
- If you are testing different set of images, make sure all your images are of the same size and portray the same ideas. For examples, if you are selling mountain bikes, you can test out images of various mountain bikes or photo taken from different angles of the mountain bikes. Do not put a car or a motorcycle image.
- For body content, it is best to have different sales copy, each addressing to the different needs of your customer. Always sell the benefit of your product, not its feature.
- Review your experiment and launch it.
Now, run the test for one week and look at the report. The one with the highest conversion rate will be the winner.
In order to achieve reliable result from the website optimization test, your site need to have a high traffic from all sources. For new sites, you might want to increase the traffic to your site through Google Adwords or Yahoo Search Marketing.